Monday, September 9, 2013

September 8 2013



Dear Friends,

Well, we are back into the swing of things! This past week our students moved back in at UMass Dartmouth and classes began.  The first week of classes is one of the busiest for us at Campus Ministry and seemed all the more busier bouncing back and forth between the parish and UMD.  Rest assured, this will not be the case for the rest of the semester.  I will be at UMD Sunday and Thursday afternoons and evenings and Monday early evening.  On Wednesdays, I will be at Bristol Community College a few hours midday.  

In the busy-ness of the last couple of weeks, I found a poem that you may have heard before.  It is an important reminder to anyone who describes their life as one that is busy (I received the author’s permission a couple of years ago to share this with anyone I wanted):

I DIDN’T HAVE TIME
I got up early one morning
And rushed right into the day!
I had so much to accomplish
That I didn’t have time to pray.
Problems just tumbled about me,
And heavier came each task.
“Why doesn’t God help me?” I wondered.
He answered, “You didn’t ask!”
I tried to come into God’s presence;
I used all my keys at the lock.
God gently and lovingly chided,
“Why, child, you didn’t knock!”
I wanted to see joy and beauty,
But the day toiled on, gray and bleak.
I wondered why God didn’t show me.
He said, “But you didn’t seek.”
I woke up early this morning,
And paused before entering the day.
I had so much to accomplish
That I had to take time to pray!
—Grace L. Naessens

It may seem strange that it is difficult to find time as a priest to pray! Yet, it is a very real issue.  Also very real is how ineffective a priest is without prayer.  That is also the case with anyone who seeks to live as a child of God.  Any relationship will not be a meaningful relationship or continue to grow and be strong if there isn’t communication and time spent with one another.  That goes for our human relationships, that goes with God. Take some time each day to touch base with him, it will make all the difference!
Each year the Propogation of the Faith asks parishes to conduct a collection to support the Missions.  We are a universal Church and as a family this is one of the ways we care for our brothers and sisters in the poorest sections of the world.  This year, St. John’s has been asked to support the Church In Africa, specifically  in the Diocese of ___________________.  Our collection next week will be to meet that obligation.  If you wish to write a check, make it out to St. John’s and write “Missions” in the Memo.  We will send one check from the parish.
We have had inquiries about the Annual Collection.  We haven’t forgotten it.  It had been our original hope to kick it off the end of August.  However, in the transition and setting up the office, there were some issues that had to be dealt with before we could do so.  The result is that start of the Annual will be the end of September.

No comments:

Post a Comment